When is A Fraser’s Ridge Homecoming~Return To The Ridge 2019?
- The Homecoming will be held October 3-6, 2019.
Where in the world is Leatherwood Mountains Resort?
- Diana has said in the past that the Fraser’s Ridge area was approximately 10 miles from either Boone or Blowing Rock and the lands would have been north of the Yadkin River. Our wonderful venue, Leatherwood Mountains Resort, is located in the beautiful Yadkin River Valley of Wilkes County where the valley meets the Blue Ridge Mountains. Going by Diana’s description, it would be about 1.5 miles outside of that 10 mile boundary (*NOTE: Non-scientific opinion). If you stay in a cabin at Leatherwood, chances are you will cross over into that 10 mile boundary. The address for Leatherwood is 512 Meadow Road, Ferguson, NC 28624.
You mention that this is “an Outlander event like no other”. Why?
- Unlike many other Outlander events, The Homecoming focuses on the history of Jamie & Claire’s 18th century North Carolina backcountry wilderness. We are not a comic con and are not trying to be. This means that the Homecoming is not “star” focused. We believe that if you love history, which most Diana fans do, you will be amazed by what you will learn and be exposed to during this fun, history-filled weekend!!! You can go home and brag about it to all your Outlander friends!
So, no star appearances then?
- None are anticipated but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility. If a star is booked, there will be a separate add-on ticket which must be purchased if you’d like to participate in the meet and greet, autographs, pictures, etc.
Do you have a full itinerary with complete details about who, what, when and where?
- It’s a work in progress but, yes, many of these things have already been decided! You can find the preliminary agenda here. Please keep in mind that this is subject to change without notice so check back often for updates. Registration for workshops will begin in June.
Workshops? Tell me more!
- We’ve got more workshops than you’ll possibly have time for but you get to pick and choose which of them are the most important to you. This way you get to make your own schedule based on your workshop preferences. To see a list of all the workshops, click here. Be prepared to be blown away – seriously! Registration for workshops will begin July 1, 2019.
I know The Homecoming begins on Thursday and ends on Sunday but what are the times?
- Registration begins on Thursday, October 3, at 11:00 AM. If you are staying in a cabin at Leatherwood, you must check-out by 11:00 AM on Sunday, October 6, unless you have made arrangements for a late checkout or plan to stay longer.
I can’t get there in time to register on Thursday. Can I register Friday morning?
- Yes, you can but you must let us know in advance so we can make arrangements to have someone meet you with the things you must have to attend the event. Email email@example.com if you will be arriving later than 5:00 PM on Thursday, October 3.
I want to go to The Homecoming but I can’t pay the whole admission price up front. Help!
- No worries, Sassenach! You have options! The initial deposit of $150 is required upon registration. However, you can pay the remainder in one payment or in installments as long as the entire admission cost is paid by June 30, 2019.
Do you have Day Passes for specific days?
- Not at this time. If there are at some point, you may want to subscribe to the ONC blog or join the Facebook group to keep apprised of that information.
Can I get a refund on monies paid if I’m unable to attend at the last minute?
- You can review our refund policy here.
What doesn’t the admission price cover?
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Breakfast each day
Do I have to stay onsite?
- No. It isn’t mandatory for you to stay onsite at Leatherwood Mountains Resort; however, we do NOT recommend staying offsite. Should you choose to do so, please be aware that travel from your accommodations to Leatherwood will more than likely consist of narrow, curving, two-lane country roads, some which may be unpaved, depending on from which direction you are coming.The nearest hotels are approximately 30 minutes away. PLUS, we want you to really experience the “Ridge” and we think the best way for you to do that is to stay onsite. You can check out Leatherwood’s rental cabins here and their camping options here. If you must stay offsite, more information on other area accommodations is below.
What type of payment plan does Leatherwood offer if I book a cabin through them?
- Click here for a link to their rental agreement which spells it all out!
Does Leatherwood offer any kind of discount for booking a cabin or camping site?
- Leatherwood is offering $25 off the reservation fee if you book directly with them by phone at 1-800-4NC-MTNS and mention you are coming for A Fraser’s Ridge Homecoming hosted by Outlander North Carolina.
Did you say there are camping facilities at Leatherwood?
- Yes, there are. Check out Leatherwood’s camping facilities here. And read more about their campground in the latter portion of this document.
Are the facilities at Leatherwood handicap accessible?
- A majority of the facilities at Leatherwood are handicap accessible. The exception is the Hendrix Cabin near the entrance to Leatherwood. This cabin is over 200 years old and isn’t rented out for lodging but is used for other purposes. We will be using it for registration and some of the workshops.
How about handicap accessible cabins?
- Leatherwood does offer handicap accessible cabins. As you are browsing cabins, handicap accessibility will be listed for those cabins.
I heard I can horseback ride at Leatherwood. Is that true?
- Yes! Click here for details! You can also bring your own horse. Leatherwood offers boarding onsite. Click here for info!
How do I get there?
- When traveling to Leatherwood, please consult their website @ www.leatherwoodmountains.com/directions. GPS is not reliable in the area.
I’d really rather stay at a hotel. What are my options?
- Read through this page on the ONC website: Local Accommodations. We encourage you to check the proximity & drive time of any hotel or Air B&B to our venue on Google Maps prior to making offsite reservations. The address for Leatherwood is 512 Meadow Road, Ferguson, NC 28624. NOTE: Please keep in mind that your drive time may be more than what is indicated due to the nature of the roads.
I will be flying to The Homecoming. What is the nearest airport?
- Both the Charlotte Douglas International Airport in Charlotte and the Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro are approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes away from Leatherwood Mountains Resort.
Will you provide transportation from the airport?
- As much as we’d love to spend that time getting to know you, our budget won’t permit us to provide transportation.
Is this a kid-friendly event?
- We love kids and we are friendly but, this is an adult-only event. Children are welcome to accompany you at your accommodations but we are unable to allow them to accompany you during the various activities. We’re sorry!
May I bring my pet?
- Some cabins at Leatherwood are pet-friendly. Please check directly with the resort for pet-friendly cabins. If you are not staying onsite, you should check the pet policy of wherever you are staying. NO pets are allowed at any of the scheduled workshops, presentations, demonstrations or meals at AFRHC. Exception: Registered service animals only.
Is there anything special I should bring?
- All of the cabins are supplied with paper products and linens (throw in a beach towel if you book one with a hot tub!) and fully equipped kitchens with drip style coffee makers. We encourage you to arrive to the cabin with all your supplies for the weekend (groceries etc.) so that you don’t have to venture out after you arrive. The closest grocery stores are about 30 minutes from the resort.
- Bring an umbrella (or appropriate rain gear) and a camp chair. There may be limited seating at some of the outdoor activities, demonstrations, etc. This is a rain or shine event.
What is the nearest town with a grocery store, drug store, etc.?
- That would be Wilkesboro, NC, which is about 30 minutes away. You can check out their business directory here. And their tourist information here.
I may extend my stay after The Homecoming. Can you give me some recommendations for things to do and see?
- The possibilities are as endless as the views in the Blue Ridge. Check out these websites for local and nearby tourist information:
I’m ready to register! Where do I do that?
- Click here, Sassenach, and we will see you in October!
I have a question that wasn’t answered here. Where can I go to get an answer?
- Fill out the form below and we’ll get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.